This new program is meant for IUPUI students from underserved and underrepresented populations who want to engage in an intense faculty-mentored research experience for the duration of at least 11 months (September 1st through July 31st).
To address the need to promote a diverse and inclusive campus, the program includes but is not limited to students from historically underrepresented racial and ethnic groups, individuals with disabilities, military veterans, students underrepresented in their discipline, LGBTQ+ students, as well as first-generation/low-income students.
DSIRE will offer a stipend total of $7,000 with two disbursements, one at the completion of the spring semester and the second one after the completion of the summer semester. Students will have the option to continue working on their project in their senior year with a $2,000 stipend contingent on availability of funds and previous performance. In addition, up to $1,500 will be provided to go to a national conference and present the research project.
- Submission of a mentor approved project proposal before September 1st
- Completion of progress and final reports
- One or more research presentations at the campus level
- Mandatory participation in events offered by the IUPUI Graduate Office
- Mandatory participation in monthly CRL DSRP events
- Current sophomores (rising or incoming juniors) meeting diversity criteria
- Enrolled at IUPUI full-time
- GPA greater than or equal to 2.5
- Previous research experience* with an IUPUI faculty mentor
*Current sophomores without research experience but interested in the program should apply for both DS-UROP and DSIRE at the same time. The DS-UROP experience will qualify as a previous research experience if the summer program is completed to the satisfaction of both CRL and the mentor.
This application is now open. The submission deadline for 2018 is May 7th.
Before you hit the application link please have the following items ready:
- Copy of your transcript
- Your resume
- A cover letter in which you explain your interest in DSIRE and how an intensive research experience aligns with your educational and career goals
- Name and contact information of your faculty mentor*
*We will request a letter of recommendation from your mentor confirming commitment to mentor you.
Tonya L. Shelton, M.S.Ed.
Center for Research and Learning
A Division of the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research
University Tower (HO) Suite 202
911 W. Michigan Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202-2800